Yoga Teacher Training : Evolve Your Practice
You have been practicing for a year, two or maybe many more. You feel the difference in yourself - physically, mentally, emotionally, energetically and spiritually. You have realized there is more to yoga than simply moving your body through various shapes. Something else is going on and you want to explore more. You feel called to learn more about the history, philosophy, chakras, postures, mudras, breathing, chanting, energy and meditation. You recognize that you feel more content when you practice and want to immerse deeper and learn how this practice can support your life, your relationships and your health. You may even want to become a teacher - share what you know with others because you have felt the change yourself and wish others to experience the journey. If this sounds like you , keep reading.
Whatever has called you to this page, just let it guide you. Coming soon (April 2020) you will have an opportunity to deepen your practice, and gain skills to become a yoga teacher if that is your intention. There will be two avenues available for your journey - a 200+ hours Yoga Teacher Training or Evolve Your Practice. Both are a year long commitment with a few differences. The teachings, lectures, readings, practices will be shared regardless of YTT or EYP. Those wishing to become a teacher will be required to complete a practical and written exam and pass with a 80% or higher; they will be required to complete quizzes and participate in class discussion. Aspiring teachers will also be required to complete 10 karma classes, and teach 2 classes to fellow participants within the course year and receive constructive feedback from the course group. Those that wish to become a teacher will also be required to complete ALL required elements with 180+ hours direct contact with the lead instructor. Any missed classes must be completed at the student's expense for private makeup class at an agreed upon time.
Both the YTT and EYP have the intention of bringing together sincere students who intend to commit themselves to the course with discipline and a sincere aspiration to go deeper. This course is not for you if you are looking for a quick fix teacher training. It is for serious aspirants who are willing to dedicate effort for 12 months - one weekend a month (schedule below). You will get out of this course what you put into it. The course will be taught in the style of classical slower yoga (Hatha). [This not a vinyasa training although the Sun Salutation along with the 12 Mantras chanted during each pose will be taught during the course].
Why study with Cheryl at YGS?
Cheryl has over 22 years of practice and over 16 years teaching. She received her first 200 hour certified teacher training in 2003 in Toronto. She furthered her training in 2005 - 2006 with 250 hours during a year long course at Stillpoint YTT, and then went on to receive an additional 5 months intensive training in Classical Yoga, completing a month long intensive in Thailand.
Cheryl is also a Registered Social Worker with a focus in the area of brain injury and rehabilitation. She has completed training through Mindful Schools including Mindful Educators which provides foundations for leading mindfulness courses to students. Cheryl continues her studies and is currently enrolled in a year long journey of Experiential Anatomy to continue to share this knowledge with students. Cheryl leads international yoga retreats, in studio classes, workshops and is eager to share her knowledge gained over the past 20 years. She is certified as CYA- E- RYT550. She continues to update her skills and knowledge to be current while honouring the traditional teachings. This past year she completed additional training in Grief Yoga, Yoga for your Spine, Yoga Anatomy, Yin Yoga and Restorative. She has studied Ashtanga, Sivananda and Agama and incorporates all of her experiential knowledge into her classes.
You will be guided by a seasoned teacher to deepen your connection to your Self. You will gain knowledge of alignment principles, and movement literacy understanding that yoga poses are not "cookie cutter" in nature and each student needs to adapt the pose according to their body. You will learn what yoga is, its origin and be guided by the 8 limb path of the ancient texts with an attention to modern information. You will learn how to apply the timeless teachings to present life. You will be in an environment with supportive like minded people as you deepen your connection and understanding of both yourself and your Self. As a local participant you will have the support your teacher nearby, accessible outside of YTT hours. You have the convenience of immersing during the day and returning to your home at night (except while on silent retreat). Limited class size will allow for more attention and support of your Sadhana (personal practice) as you apply the ancient teachings as a model for modern life both on and off the mat.
Both YTT and EYP are life changing experiences. You are investing in your SELF. You will be asked to push beyond your comfort zone, commit to and deepen your personal practice while you grow your knowledge in yoga. You will learn how to apply yoga philosophy to all aspects of your life, allowing you to continually evolve not only your practice on the mat but also off the mat.
Requirements for all YTT and EYP participants:
1. A sincere aspiration to learn and evolve.
2. An open mind.
3. A yearning to apply yoga philosophy to life.
4. Ability/time to commit one weekend a month for 12 months on designated dates (Friday 6- 9, Sat 8-5, Sun 8-5)
5. An understanding of your health, limitations (physically, mentally and emotionally) and seek medical clearance should you have any concerns. Each participant is responsible for their own well being.
6. Retreat optional for EYP (price will reflect your decision accordingly).
7. Maintain a private journal for reflections.
8. Each student will be held to a high standard of conduct, demonstrating respect for their peers,and maintaining confidentiality throughout and after the course. Bias, harassment, inappropriate or offensive language or disrespectful communication will not be tolerated. All participants are expected to treat others with respect. You never know which of you is a Bodhisattva. And, often our greatest teachers are those that may "push our buttons". Practice compassion, be open to learn, dissolve conceived barriers and evolve.
9. Smoking, alcohol and other intoxicants are not permitted during YTT sessions.
YTT - Aspiring Teachers in addition to the above requirements
1. Attend and participant in ALL classroom hours (180 contact hours) and required course elements (non contact hours).
2 Assist (team teach with Cheryl) in 6 classes outside of the course hours.
3. Complete all readings and demonstrate a good understanding of the information with a score of 80% or higher on quizzes and final exam. Open book quizzes, essays, additional participation with guest teachers and participation in a retreat residential weekend including silent meditation, periods of silence and karma yoga (food prep, clean up etc).
4. Attend 20 yoga classes outside of the YTT/EYP classes at your own expense. You will be required to obtain documentation of your attendance.
5. Teach 2 classes (solo) to the YYT/EYP group at an agreed upon schedule. You will design the practice which you will lead and receive constructive feedback.
6. Teach 10 karma classes to the community. These are classes that are offered free of charge. Donations can be accepted and forwarded to a charity of your choice (pre-determined before you collect any donations).
7. Residental retreat cancelled due to Covid.
8. Effectively teach your classmates the chosen postures/asana each month. 20 postures will be studied.
9. Share a poem, or reading each month to help you and the other aspiring teachers grow their teaching library.
10. Purchase required books. Look at these as an investment in yourself, your students and your yoga library for future resources. You are encouraged to read additional resources related to yoga topics.
11. Maintain a written practice/meditation log.
12. Learn and teach 20 chosen postures including their Sanskrit name, including form, energetic associations, appropriate sequencing, contraindications and alternative posture options.
13. The guidelines for this YTT standard is based on the requirements of the Canadian Yoga Alliance set forth by both the International Yoga Federation and national and international programs attended by the instructor. Please note these requirements are considered a beginner entry level wishing to teach. It is understood that the student/teacher will continue to study and evolve.
Before you apply please ensure you have experience attending classes with an experienced senior teacher with on average 6 hours per week and a personal practice of 5 years to be eligible to obtain certification otherwise you can participate but may not be eligible for certifications based on Canadian Yoga Alliance standards. Having this as a base allows you to understand and apply the yoga training in a relatable and meaningful context and better serve your students. Each student that applies for YTT is confirming they meet these requirements.
COURSE WEEKENDS 2020 - 2021
Friday 6-9, Sat 9 - 4, Sun 9 - 4
April 17-19, 2020 - cancelled due to Covid
May 22 - 24, 2020 - lectures online teaching
June 19 - 21, 2020 - lectures online and in person outdoors
July 17-19, 2020 - in person
Aug 14 - 16, 2020 - in person
Sept 18 -20, 2020 - in person
Oct 16 - 18, 2020 - in person
Nov 20 - 22, 2020 - in person (lead a class)
Dec 18 -19, 2020 - in person
Jan 15-17th, 2021 - cancelled due to Covid
Feb 26-28, 2021 - in person (lead a class)
Mar 19 - 21, 2021 - in person
April 16-18, 2021 -in person (in class/ take home exam)
Deposit of $226.00 ($200 plus $26 hst) with application for both EYP and YTT. If you are accepted into the program the deposit will be applied towards the final month payment. If you are not accepted, the full application fee will be returned. This is to encourage serious applicants only. Once you are accepted into the course the deposit is non refundable unless the course is cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.
Evolve Your Practice (EYP) - $2100 plus hst. Payment plans are available in three equal installments with a 5% administrative/processing fee.
This price excludes one silent weekend away. Should you wish to include the silent weekend retreat please add $450 plus hst to your course costs. This must be determined in advance due to booking requirements for the weekend.
200+ Hour Yoga Teacher Training (YTT) - $ 2650 plus hst. Fee includes one retreat weekend away in Ontario (meals, room, yoga included in retreat, excludes travel). Payment plans available in three equal installments with a 5% administration fee/processing fee for the payment plan.
Meals . You are free to leave for lunch or bring a bagged lunch. Bagged lunches must be vegetarian.
Click the link above to complete the online application. The Deposit of $226 must accompany the application to be considered. Payment via Cheque, e-transfer, cash or credit card is available. The application is non refundable if you are accepted. Please note your application for YTT indicates you understand and meet the base requirements outlined above.
180 hours min of direct contact
40 hours min of non direct contact (essays, guest teachers, quizzes, final exam)
History of Yoga
Classical Philosophy (20 hours direct, 10 hours non direct) - Indian Yoga Philosophy, including works of Vedas, Upanishads, Patanjalis Yoga Sutras and the Bhagavad Gita.
Teaching Methodology (20 hours direct contact, 20 hours non direct attending other classes) including asana demonstration, appropriate assists, receiving permission to assist, tone, communication, choice of words, music, creating a safe environment, appropriate class sequencing, working with special groups)
Pranayama (6 hours direct, 6 hours indirect)
Meditation (12 hours direct contact hours, additional 15 min practice daily non direct contact)
Anatomy (skeleton, muscles, joints), physiology (nervous system etc), bio-mechanics/human movement as it pertains to yoga, energy anatomy (chakras), contraindications, modifications and alternatives. (20 hours direct, 10+ hours indirect)
Ethics, lifestyle and Karma Yoga (5 hours contact, 10 hours non contact volunteer)
Practicum (10 hours direct contact) includes learning/teaching opening gentle flow sequences, restorative, yin, teaching each of the 20 poses in class to your peers, discussion with peers within the class room regarding practice). Includes leading two classes to your peers.
Technique (100 hours direct contact, 20 hours non direct attending other classes noted above). This includes in depth study of the theory, anatomy, movement, appropriate sequencing, energy of sequencing, subtle energy, Sanskrit terminology and demonstrations of each pose with alternative and modification options demonstrated/offered (80% competency required).
PLEASE ARRIVE AT LEAST 5 MINUTES PRIOR TO CLASS TIME
(Full detailed syllabus to be provided prior to course)
6 pm - 7:30 pm Practice/Pranayama
7:30 - 7:45 Break
7:45 - 9:00 Discussion and closing Chant
Saturday & Sunday
9 am - 10:30 am Practice
10:30 am - 10:45 am Break
10:45 am - 11:45 am Lecture/Demonstrations/Break Out sessions
11:45 am - 1:00 pm Break/Lunch (B.Y.O.V.L. or go out/home for lunch)
1:00 pm - 2:30 pm Lecture/Demonstrations/Break Out sessions
2:30 - 2:45 pm Break
2:45 - 3:45 pm Practice
3:45 - 4:00 pm Questions, reflections, Closing Chant
Applications available - email Cheryl for your application